Priority Axis 3: Connected Region
Specific Objective 3.1
Enhance capacity for integrated transport and mobility services and multimodality
Transport in the Adriatic and Ionian region predominantly rests on road transport and a large number of small and bigger ports on the coast. Links with the hinterland are poor with many bottlenecks on multimodal connections, and the density of the rail network is lower than the EU average.
An effective and resilient transport system would play a key role in ensuring an efficient supply chain for the economy and making places accessible for the people. The improvement of transport links between the western and eastern part of the Adriatic and Ionian area, as well as with the hinterlands could boost the economy as well as speed up the integration of IPA Partner States.
Reducing the effects of emissions coming from different sources of pollutants, which affect people’s health, damage cultural heritage and harm ecosystems, could be successfully tackled on a transnational level. Moreover, emissions from shipping and the impact on the port cities and other shore areas should be monitored. Air quality measures could reduce such effects, and are most effective if coordinated together.
ADRION will contribute to:
- Enhance common understanding among ADRION Partner States for the status quo, and the potential in the ADRION area for multimodal, environmental-friendly and low carbon transport and mobility infrastructures and services
- Enhance the competencies and skills of the stakeholders and involved parties
- Increase the solutions for multimodal, environmental-friendly and low carbon transport and mobility infrastructures and services
- Enhance the involvement of tourism actors, residents and economic operators for investment in multimodal, environmental-friendly and low carbon transport and mobility infrastructures and services
- Harmonise and/or joint infrastructures, tools and management structures
- Enhance maturity and coordination of investments in multimodal, environmental-friendly and low carbon transport and mobility infrastructures and services
Main Result Indicator
Increase the level of capacity of organisations in the field of transport and mobility to transnationally plan and implement sustainable and multimodal transport and mobility solutions.